A high-quality, high-value maternity care system in which well-informed pregnant women choose to and receive supportive caregivers and institutions consistently provide safe, effective, woman- and family-centered, timely, equitable, and cost-effective maternity care.
Our Mission Our mission is to improve the quality and value of maternity care through consumer engagement and health system transformation. Childbirth Connection promotes safe, effective and satisfying evidence-based maternity care and is a voice for the needs and interests of childbearing families.
Our Core Principles
- Pregnancy, labor and birth, and the early postpartum and newborn
period are especially important and sensitive times in the lives of
women and their families. Experiences at this time can have great and long-term effects, both favorable and adverse.
- Most childbearing women are well and healthy and as such have
every reason to expect an uncomplicated birth and transition to parenthood and a healthy newborn.
- The U.S. health care system is in disarray, and many pregnant
women face challenges in obtaining safe, effective, woman- and
family-centered maternity care that reflects lessons from the best research.
- Women have the opportunity and the responsibility to participate in shared decision making about their care from early in pregnancy through the postpartum period. The decisions they make and the care they receive can have lasting effects on their health and the health of their babies.
- To participate in shared decision making, women need full and accurate information based on the best available research about their care options from early in pregnancy through the postpartum period. Women need choices among a reasonable range of care providers, care settings, and care options to help make informed decisions and receive the care that is best for them and their babies.
- Caregivers and facilities have the responsibility to provide evidence-based care that respects and supports the innate physiology of pregnancy, labor and birth, and the mother/baby connection, and also addresses the family’s needs, values and preferences.
- Women and their families can improve the quality of maternity
care for themselves and others by becoming informed, planning
carefully, voicing their needs and concerns, challenging established childbirth beliefs and practices that are not beneficial to mothers and babies, and working to improve the system in which maternity care is delivered.
© 2016 Childbirth Connection. All rights reserved.
Childbirth Connection is a national not-for-profit organization founded in 1918 as Maternity Center Association. Our mission is to improve the quality of maternity care through research, education, advocacy and policy. Childbirth Connection promotes safe, effective and satisfying evidence-based maternity care and is a voice for the needs and interests of childbearing families.
Most recent page update: 12/1/2011